Today we are committed to doing even more — to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste generation by 10 percent by 2020. For more information click here.
- Our Security Staff uses Global Electric Motorcars and Segways instead of some vehicles powered by gas.
- Maintenance and Housekeeping are replacing some vehicles with fuel-efficient models.
- We use green cleaning products at our center wherever and whenever possible.
- The center has implemented new lighting protocols that allow us to minimize our energy use and lower our carbon footprint without any impact on the shopping experience.
- Our center has a recently upgraded HVAC system that minimizes our energy usage and lowers our carbon footprint.
- We are fortunate to be located in Portland, Oregon, recently named the greenest city in America. Metro, the local tri-county governing agency, provides many ways to reduce, reuse and recycle. We work closely with our Metro Recycle at Work representative to be sure we are kept informed of new avenues for recycling.
- We provide recycling of cardboard, glass and plastic bottles, office paper, cans, scrap metal, plastic film and plastic wrap.
- We recycle fluorescent and compact fluorescent lamps used in the common area and obtain certification of the recycling. We have put our retailers in touch with the recycler for their own lamps. We have placed recycling stations throughout the mall common area for paper, glass, plastic and cans. This has been warmly received by our guests.
Leaders in corporate sustainability
At Macerich, while most of our business is focused on reaching new heights, in sustainability we are dedicated to reaching new lows. In fact, "Innovating to Zero" is our ambitious longer-term goal to generate zero energy waste and near zero emissions, zero water waste and zero landfill impact.
GRESB Green Star
2014 - 2017
20th among top 30 on-site generation
EPA Green Power Partnership
CDP Climate A List
2015 - 2017
#1 Ranking 2015 - 2017 GRESB Benchmark
N. American Retail Sector
NARIET Leader in the Light
2014 - 2017
First U.S. In-use Certified Building